Published on Friday, 26 August 2011 09:22
2012 British Trombone Society
Don Lusher Solo Trombone Competition for young tenor trombonists
The British Trombone Society is proud to remember one of the world's great trombonists with this exciting competition, which gives young players the opportunity to display their melodic, ballad style of playing. Don was renowned worldwide for his mastery of this genre of playing.
First prize: the Don Lusher trophy, awarded by Diana Lusher, and a professional quality trombone donated by Yamaha – a choice of the YSL697Z or YSL881 Xeno.
How to Enter
Send in your application form to Geoff Wolmark (address below) to receive copies of Swinging down the Alley
and Londonderry Air
, arranged for trombone and piano by Bill Geldard. Subsequently, submit unedited recordings of your performances of both pieces by 21st January 2012. The judges will then pick three finalists to compete live with the same pieces at an event in 2012.
Rules and requirements
- Applicants must be aged 22 or younger (birth date of 1st September 1989 or later).
- Application is free to BTS members. A fee of £20 will be charged to non-members. Please make cheques payable to “British Trombone Society” and include with your application form.
- Applicants must be resident in the UK.
- Applicants should be Grade 7 level and above.
- Application forms must be downloaded from the BTS website, printed, completed and sent to: The Secretary, Geoff Wolmark, 1-3 Church Street, Hutton, Driffield, Yorks, YO25 9PR
- Submit four copies of an unedited CD (no tapes, DATs or minidiscs). Label the CD jackets clearly with your name, but do NOT label the CDs. Plastic CD boxes are not necessary as long as CDs are properly protected from damage in the post. CDs will not be returned.
- All posted recordings must be postmarked no later than 21st January 2012 and mailed to the Secretary Geoff Wolmark at the above address.
- The judges will decide on the top three players, who will be required to perform in the final round at a major British Trombone Society event in 2012. An accompanist will be provided for the final.
- If you are unable to be present at the 2012 event, an alternative finalist may be selected.
- The judges reserve the right not to name a winner.
- The Diana Lusher trophy will remain with the winner until the next Don Lusher competition, expected in two years time. It remains the property of Diana Lusher.
First name _________________________________
Date of birth _______________________________
BTS Membership Number ____________________
Home telephone number ____________________
Mobile telephone number ___________________
E-mail address _____________________________
Place of study or employment ________________
Please return to:
1-3 Church Street
British Trombone Society