Lions Club solo competition
Written By: David Read Comments: 0
The Lions Club run annual music competitions across Europe, and this year is the turn of the trombone. The voluntary service organisation is organising and funding this competition for trombonists up to the age of 22 in a celebration of young talent and to promote healthy competition.
There are set to be local heats in each of the 13 Lions districts across UK and Ireland around Dec 08 - Feb 09. The winners will be invited to the National Final at the Birmingham Conservatoire in April 2009 and the National winner will be provided with all the expenses to attend the European final in Finland in September 2009.
The test piece for the National final is Bozza's Ballade and entrants choose another piece from a repertoire list. The National judging panel is set to include internationally recognised trombonists.
If you are interested in entering, please contact UK & Ireland organiser Eric Roberts with your name and address and he will put you in touch with a local Lions Club and information about the local heats. If you are a student away from home, please provide your home address. Please get in touch as soon as possible since heats are happening soon.
Lions European Music Competition 2008/09
- Entry restrictions: resident in UK/Ireland for 3 years, age up to 22 years old
- Nominations to National Final by (local) district Lions Club by 28th February 2009, following local heat.
- National final: Birmingham Conservatoire, 4th April 2009. Candidates play Bozza Ballade and another piece from the repertoire list provided. Entrants sponsored by their local Lions Club.
- European final: Tampere, Finland, 17-19th September 2009. At this stage, all expenses are provided by UK/Ireland Lions.
- Prizes: Local - Variable prizes
- National - 1st £500, 2nd £200
- European - 1st. €3,500, 2nd €2,000, 3rd €1,000
Share this article